SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is something we get asked a lot about by clients. Every time Google makes a chance, well, it’s a big deal. We depend on Google for a lot. But let me shine some light on that for you: if you don’t pay for the product, you are the product. Gmail, Feedburner, Analytics, Alerts, Reader, Search…the list goes on and on. Google is going to continue to change the product, even if it means killing off ones we love, to maximize its (Google) profits. Can you blame them?
My friend Kate Finley covered over on Spin Sucks a really neat tool I had never heard of yesterday: Google Penalty Checker Tool from Fruition. Be sure to check Kate’s post out if you want a good step-by-step of the process. The team at Fruition has come up with a really helpful tool that can immediately help your SEO efforts in just two minutes. Previous methods of checking for penalties violated Google’s Webmaster Guidelines. The Penalty Checker tool DOES NOT. It does not query rankings of keywords or violate any another of Google’s Webmaster Guidelines.
In a matter of minutes, the Google Penalty Checker Tool makes it extremely easy to see which Google updates affect your site. The tool generates an easy-to-read chart that demonstrates how each change by Google affects your site search traffic. With each specific Google update, the chart reports whether it has had a positive or negative impact on your website. If there ever was a ‘real-time‘ Google impact tool, this tools ability to explain each updates affect on your site in ‘real-time‘ cannot be overstated.
The tools secret sauce of formulas include analyzing: bounce rates, organic traffic, new vs. repeat visits, page views, and other factors. The free version (basic plan) is free for only a limited time, so make sure you get it while you still can. The basic plan doesn’t account for branded traffic.
With Google Penalty Checker Tool, you can quickly get a temperature of where your site may need some attention SEO-wise. It takes maybe two minutes. Save yourself stress, time and the possibility of extra money and use it.
After I use Google Penalty Checker Tool, what’s next Ryan?
In addition to that tool, here is a list of five other tools or resources to immediately go from clueless to basic-level knowledgeable in the ever changing world of SEO.
- Open Site Explorer - Understanding the link profiles of top competitors is a good indicator of the types of keywords you should target. Before you ever dump money into an SEO strategy, understand your competitive landscape. As far as authority metrics, you can see how your site stands up to the rest. Open Site Explorer gives you an excellent start to the lay of the land.
- Keyword Spy – Step one in gaining a competitive advantage on your competitors is identifying your top competitors. Trust me, if you think you know as far as search and SEO goes, you don’t. From channel to channel, product to product and keyword to keyword, your competition could be very very different. Keyword Spy is a free Organic Competitors report that can help identify who the top competitors are for a particular keyword. If you’re wanting to point some serious cash behind it.
- SEO Tools for Excel – Excel add-on that gives great value to a wide variety of your SEO needs. Competitive intelligence, on-page factors, off-page factors, it’s a pretty powerful free tool. Donations welcome.
- Google Analytics – Tried and true, but there isn’t anything better. Even the best of the best SEO professionals rely on Google Analytics.
- Google Adwords Keyword Tool – If you haven’t researched your keywords, then you haven’t even begun to optimize your website. Again, the best of the best have this in their back pocket.